- About Us
- News & Feedback
- Free Resources
- Product Brochures
- Connections Magazine
Writers Guidelines - Connections
Welcome to our writers' guidelines. Connections is a magazine for evangelical Lutheran Christians. It is published six times each year, with expanded editions at Christmas and Easter. We publish articles from 200 to 1,200 words in length.
If you have an idea or topic you would like us to consider for either a feature article or one of the regular columns, tell us about it. Every submission is considered. If your proposed article is of interest to our editorial team, we will contact you within 30 days. Query letters are appreciated but not required.
Please read our guidelines carefully before submitting your article, photo or artwork. If you have additional questions after reading the guidelines, please contact Joy Minion. Please do not email questions or submissions until you have carefully studied our writer's guidelines.
Connections prefers to accept submissions by email. Please put "submission" in the subject line. Writers without access to email may mail queries to: Sola Publishing, Attention: Connections, PO Box 521, Maple Lake, MN 55358. All queries and manuscripts received by mail will be evaluated, but cannot be returned.
When submitting your article or manuscript, please follow these guidelines:
1) Include your name, address and phone number in the upper-left corner of the first page. Note the word count in the upper-right corner. Center the title 1/3 of the way down the page, followed by your byline.
2) Type manuscripts, double-spaced, with paragraph indentations and spacing between paragraphs.
3) Include a biographic sketch of 30-35 words at the end of the article.
4) Include Scripture references for any Biblical quotations inside the final quotation mark. [Example: “God so loved…life (John 3:16 NIV).”] Please indicate which translation of Scripture you are using.
6) Capitalize the first letter of all pronoun references to God and/or Jesus.
7) Email manuscripts to the editors. Manuscripts should be emailed to: email@example.com and should be separate attachments, not be included in the body of the email text. Preferred formats are Microsoft Word documents or pdf files.
8) Submission of a manuscript, photo or artwork constitutes permission to publish. All submissions are subject to editing. We ask for one-time print publication rights, and the right to include your published submission in our annual archive edition, available on CD or online. If an article meets our criteria, we reserve the right to hold it for a future issue. Authors maintain full rights to their work after publication.
Theology in Practice – Theological issues have practical implications for congregations and individuals. We welcome articles exploring this topic. 1600-1700 words.
Exercising the Faith – We welcome articles focusing on practical suggestions for deepening the devotional life of readers. 500-600 words.
Focus on the Scriptures – We welcome articles taking an in-depth look at a specific Bible passage or book, with commentary to encourage faith and spiritual growth. 1000-1150 words.
God Encounters – Many readers have a personal “God-story.” We want to hear yours! 350-900 words.
Meeting a Ministry – Do you know of a vibrant ministry using innovative resources for congregations? Share it with other readers in this column. 400 words.
Improving Your Serve – We welcome articles containing helpful suggestions for ways churches can provide more effective ministry. 300 words plus photographs; 600 words text only.
Missions – Missionaries, we encourage you to share your mission experience in words and photographs. 700 words plus photographs.
At this time, we are unable to compensate writers for submissions. However, authors will receive a byline and bio for each article featured in Connections. Authors will also receive a complimentary copy of the issue in which their article appears and special pricing on extra copies.
The editors of Connections reserve the right to edit your manuscript for clarity and space, and to reject any article at any stage of our editing/production process. Please specify whether you own photographs related to your proposed article.
Thank you for contributing to Connections!